The DGIE issues two categories of residence permits: Temporary residence permit and Permanent residence permit
To apply for a permit click on the appropriate permit class on the right hand menu
* To the applicants applying for residence permit, grace period is 15 days upon arrival in the country. After that period, penalties will be applied immediately as stipulated by the law.
* Diploma, Police Clearance, Marriage certificate and Birth Certificate should be translated in English or French. Police Clearance should be original only.
* Immigration officers to certify a copy of other documents if the applicant is in possession of original documents.
* EAC citizens do not pay for resident permit
* A work permit holder has the right to change employers during the period of validity of the work permit, but he/she is required to inform the office of the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration in writing. While renewing the permit, he/she is required to present a resignation letter or termination letter from the previous employer.
* Investors/Entrepreneurs before applying for residence permits, are advised to contact the Field Inspection and Law enforcement department of DGIE, to arrange for a field visit.
* The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration may request the applicants to submit any other document when deems necessary for more information and clarification.
P. O. BOX 6229, KIGALI Tel. +250 78 815 2222 / Fax +250 0252585292
Service Tel: Passport +250 722 159 372 |Laissez Passer +250 722 158 692|Visa & Permit +250 722 172 974/+250 722 177 437 |PRO +250 722 180 223
© Rwanda Directorate General of immigration and Emigration. All rights reserved.